Monday, August 16, 2010

Is it too late?

As we've all seen the Revolution have been struggling at the gate. Attendance has been on the decline for several years. This year's attendance has been pretty bad contrary to what management states. I wish I could say that I'm surprised with these attendance numbers but I'm not. Anyone who's been following the team pretty much saw it coming.

Which leads me to this interesting comment made by Jason Davis over on Matchfit USA. Here's the quote, "Where's New England's obviously needed Portuguese star?". Well Jason, I along with many others have been asking this question for many years. The closest thing we've ever had was Chiquino Conde (who is from Mozambique). I really enjoyed watching him play here during his short stint with the Revs. Jair was solid as well (from Cape Verde). True, neither are from Portugal but both are from countries who Portugal still has close ties to. The others I won't mention as I've been in a good mood lately and don't want to get myself all riled up.

If the Revs were to sign a big time Portuguese player would it be enough to draw Portuguese fans in? The answer was once a clear yes but as time goes by I'm not as sure as I once was. I have actually felt disrespected by a couple of their signings. That's how bad they were. These signings leave a bad taste in our mouths. Perhaps even if they do sign a player the impact won't be as great as it once could've been.

I don't get why they didn't go out and sign a player especially with the stadium so close to Providence, Milford, Hudson, Taunton, New Bedford, and Fall River. They've tried but apparently they haven't tried hard enough.

What do you think? Will the Revs ever make a Portuguese signing that we can proud of?

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment