Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tough Loss and a few notes

The Revs suffered a tough loss on Saturday night at Columbus. You could probably argue that Columbus deserved the win, but the Revs did play ok, good enough for the tie. A Preston Burpo blunder led to the third goal. Come on Preston, you're making me look like an idiot here, just the other day I said you might still be the starter even when Reis gets back. Mistakes happen, it's a part of the game. He's had a very good season thus far.

Zak Boggs scored two goals. The first one was a gift from the goalkeeper and the second one was a nice finish. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow we all got emails telling us that Zak Boggs is the second coming of Taylor Twellman, well, I guess he'd be the third since Zack Schilawski seems to be the official second coming of Twellman. I'm not trying to put Boggs down or anything, I just hate it when a player happens to score a goal or two in their professional debut and everyone jumps and is like "oh my god this kid is amazing!!!" He played a solid game and I hope he continues to play well and improve.

The only time I have ever said that a player is amazing while watching their professional debut was Cristiano Ronaldo. I remember it quite well. It was Sporting's match of presentation and they were playing PSG. I watched the game and noticed this kid who was named Ronaldo. When you saw his face he looked like a little kid. As I watched this game I turned to my dad and uncle and said "one day this kid will be the best player in the world". And here he is today, the best player in the world. There's a bit more to that story, which is actually pretty funny but I'll save it for another day.

One of the things that pisses me off about the Revolution is their ability to play well for about 5 minutes and then do pretty much nothing in terms of offense the rest of the game. If you look at the first goal from last night it developed from some nice quick passes and some good runs off the ball. Why can't they do that more often? Too often they just kick the ball forward and run after it. I guess that's why Steve Nicol can't coach hockey, there's icing.

Montreal was announced as the newest expansion. It's an excellent choice. They're going to have a lot of success.

It appears that MLS wants a second New York team. I think it's a bad idea. Make sure the Red Bulls can sell out and are a strong team before adding a second team. I'd rather have one strong team than two mediocre teams. Besides, there are other markets that if given good stadium situations would be better, I'm thinking St. Louis.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment